[Twisted-Python] Perspective Broker and keeping track of connected clients

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Tue Oct 17 12:52:03 MDT 2006

On Oct 17, 2006, at 1:13 PM, Yi Qiang wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using PB to expose some methods and objects remotely.
> However, I need to keep track of the people who are connected to
> the PB server via IP address (I've thought about using
> authentication, but I would like anonymous access as well).  My
> requirement is that at any given moment, I need to know which ip's
> are connected to the server.  Is this possible using PB/Twisted?
> If so how?  I have the Twisted book and have looked for tutorials
> on the web, but neither seem to address this issue.

I actually needed this feature myself recently. It may or may not
work for your needs, but I needed something that would 'catch' an IP
address before the connection actually commenced (I also needed to be
able to ban addresses).

The solution was a simple subclass of PBServerFactory

class MyServerFactory(pb.PBServerFactory):
     def buildProtocol(self, addr):
		#
		# Your custom code can go here, perhaps storing
		# addr.host somewhere fun
		#
		proto = self.protocol(0)
		proto.factory = self
		proto.setNameForLocal("root", self.root.rootObject(proto))
		return proto

Then you can catch disconnects in your Perspective class...

-phil