[Twisted-Python] Unreliable UDP

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi-twisted-python at mithrandi.za.net
Fri Oct 20 03:43:52 EDT 2006

* Christopher Armstrong <radix at twistedmatrix.com> [2006-10-19 23:17:20 -0400]:

> I think the most important thing here isn't what the game industry says you
> should do, but what your own stated requirements were. You specifically said
> you wanted ordered, guaranteed-delivery data, and that's something that UDP
> doesn't give you and that TCP does. If you had some good reason to *avoid*
> either of those qualities, perhaps UDP would be appropriate, but since you
> need that reliability, and TCP does exactly that, it is the clear winner.

I'd like to reiterate this; I'm familiar with a number of games using
UDP for networking, and they specifically do *not* make use of ordered
or guaranteed-delivery data, thus making UDP a reasonable choice. On the
other hand, there are plenty of other games using TCP under different
circumstances, so it very much depends on your specific use case.