[Twisted-Python] Unreliable UDP

Christopher Armstrong radix at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Oct 19 23:17:20 EDT 2006

On 10/19/06, Mike Wyatt <mwyatt at wi.rr.com> wrote:

>  I've been doing more research since my last message, and I found some
> pretty interesting results.
>
> Check out the posts from Simagery, hplus0603, and Ranger_One in this
> thread:
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=370603&whichpage=1&#2443682
>
> A good summary of that thread is this quote from Simagery: "...all of that
> above knowledge [UDP's superior flexibility] is based on the "state of the
> art" networking code circa 2000. Today, with wide availability of broadband,
> faster CPUs, higher quality NICs and better TCP/IP implementations, it all
> may be moot.".  I think that may have convinced me to stick with TCP.
>
> Here's another great thread:
> http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=262742.  I
> didn't read the whole thing, but it includes more discussion of UDP vs.
> TCP.  There is even someone who questions the accuracy of the X-Wing vs. TIE
> Fighter article.

I think the most important thing here isn't what the game industry says you
should do, but what your own stated requirements were. You specifically said
you wanted ordered, guaranteed-delivery data, and that's something that UDP
doesn't give you and that TCP does. If you had some good reason to *avoid*
either of those qualities, perhaps UDP would be appropriate, but since you
need that reliability, and TCP does exactly that, it is the clear winner.

--
Christopher Armstrong
International Man of Twistery