[Twisted-Python] trial for integration tests - setUpClass(), tearDownClass()

Scott Lamb slamb at slamb.org
Tue Oct 10 03:01:19 EDT 2006

We're using trial for tests of an external device. We've got some
C-based unit tests where we're able to run our code on the build
machine, but the Python/trial stuff is more of an integration test:

* Python can't run on our device itself - not only would the porting
effort be prohibitive, it simply wouldn't fit.
* Tests inevitably cover more than one unit - everything requires the
thing to have booted successfully, tests require either working console
or Ethernet+IP+TCP+SSL+SSH, etc.
* We can't realistically do a new boot for each test method. It'd take
too long. We're currently doing everything in one boot; one boot per
test class might be feasible.

We're really not using any twisted-testing features of trial, and for us
the package name "twisted.trial.unittest" is a total lie, but it
provides a pretty nice framework all the same. buildbot understands its
output, it does nice things like giving you results on
InterruptException, etc.

So given our unusual usage, there's some stuff we need to do in
setUpClass() and tearDownClass(). I've seen murmurs on the list avoid
removing them. What's the latest? I like them, but I've encountered a
couple problems so far:

* When setUpClass() errors out, Trial says our tests are broken, then
tries again for every test method in the class. I have a thick skin, so
I can take the taunting, but trying to reboot the thing a million times
is pretty undesirable.

* If the final setUp() fails, tearDownClass() is never invoked. (I'll
file a bug with details if there's still interest in setUpClass() and
tearDownClass().)

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>