[Twisted-Python] Using Conch as a ssh server on MS Windows

Rasjid Wilcox rasjidw at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 02:27:37 MST 2006

On 11/26/06, Eric Mangold <teratorn at twistedmatrix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:45:37 -0600, Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So has anyone used the ssh server in Conch as a secure way of providing
> > command line access a Windows machine?
>
> I'm not aware of anyone using Conch to provide ssh access to Windows, but
> it is an interesting idea.
>
> If you let me know what problems you have I will be glad to help.

Thanks.

> One thing that I would look in to would be using PowerShell instead of cmd.exe
> as the shell. If that interests you one thing to research would be which
> method of integrating PowerShell would be best. You can either run
> PowerShell.exe and communicate over stdin/stdout, *or* you can host the
> PowerShell engine in-process.

I'll probably stick with stdin/stdout, at least initially, as I have
done something along these lines before, just not within the twisted
framework.  Previously I used threading and emulated a non-blocking
process through buffering the data read.  I've been looking into
non-blocking pipe reading in win32, and it looks like there are a
coule of choices. Possibly the easiest I've seen so far uses some
calls from wxWidgets which adds another dependancy but seems to give
more control.

I'll report back when I've made some progress.

Cheers,

Rasjid.