[Twisted-Python] trac's reliability

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Nov 27 13:54:34 EST 2006

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:51:56 +0100, Thomas Hervé <therve at free.fr> wrote:
>Quoting exarkun at divmod.com:
>
>>   Segfaults in the svn bindings - in correspondence with the trac team, I
>> have been told (almost in so many words) that bdb-backed svn repositories are
>> unsupported and we should switch to fsfs.
>
>I think it's a good advice: fsfs is far more stable than bdb (in my experience
>of course). It's been advised by subversion for 2 years now.

Do you have a lot of experience with fsfs with svn 1.1.3?  Personally, I haven't found any defects in bdb svn.  The only reason I have to switch right now is the assurance of the trac developers that it will make something more stable (they do not have a good track record in this department).

>> [snip]
>> If we convert the trac database to use PostgreSQL, the SQLite segfaults will
>> hopefully go away. ;)  This involves setting up a PostgreSQL server which we
>> can use for trac (one is running on pyramid now, for the benefit of buildbot,
>> beyond that, what state it is in is not clear to me).  There is a tool
>> available from edgewall which is supposed to be capable of moving data from a
>> SQLite database to a PostgreSQL database.  The various scripts and utilities
>> which we have (eg, the weekly bug summary) may also need to be adjusted (I
>> forget to what extent they are tied to SQLite).  Then, as an ongoing task,
>> someone will need to maintain the PostgreSQL server.
>
>FWIW, I'd be volunteer to help on a SQLite to Postgres migration.

If we decide to do this, some tickets will probably appear in the tracker.  I'm sure you'll notice them. :)  Thanks for offering to help.

>> Personally, I am in favor of switching away from trac, as I have been since
>> shortly before we adopted it. ;)  The only open question is when the
>> replacement will be ready.
>
>What's your main reason ? Is it the problem of stability or a problem of
>functionnality ? Twisted tracker is the only one I know that have so many
>problems with reliability. But most (big) trackers have made the move to
>Postgres.

Stability and limited usability.  The only real killer feature trac has is linking from the wiki to the ticket tracker to the svn browser.  Each of these independently is only okay (the ticket tracker on its own is pretty lame), but cross-domain links are handy.

>For functionality, I don't think you remember the roundup tracker :).

As an issue tracker, roundup is at least as good as trac, I think.  As a whole website dealie, trac clearly has a bit more going for it.

Jean-Paul