[Twisted-Python] Using Conch as a ssh server on MS Windows

Eric Mangold teratorn at twistedmatrix.com
Sat Nov 25 14:36:06 EST 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 19:45:37 -0600, Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would like to have occasional remote admininitrative command line
> access
> to a number of MS Windows machines that I help maintain.
>
> There are over 200 machines, but usage would be very limited and
> sparodic,
> so the commerical solutions are too expensive for the benefit gaiined.
> Windows XPs built in telnet server is free, but insecure.  And if
> possible,
> I would like to avoid the Cygwin route, particulary on machines that I
> don't
> have physical access to.
>
> So has anyone used the ssh server in Conch as a secure way of providing
> command line access a Windows machine?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rasjid.

Hi Rasjid,

I'm not aware of anyone using Conch to provide ssh access to Windows, but
it is an interesting idea.

If you let me know what problems you have I will be glad to help. One
thing that I would look in to would be using PowerShell instead of cmd.exe
as the shell. If that interests you one thing to research would be which
method of integrating PowerShell would be best. You can either run
PowerShell.exe and communicate over stdin/stdout, *or* you can host the
PowerShell engine in-process. (PowerShell.exe is just a wrapper for the PS
engine, giving it a text-based interface). Not sure how hard or even
feasible this would be, considering that PS is a .NET assembly. (Who wants
to make Twisted run on IronPython? ;)

--
Eric Mangold
Twisted/Win32 Maintainer