Hilarious dream-logic (was Re: [Twisted-Python] [patch] (etc)

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Wed May 17 09:30:14 MDT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006 16:31:56 +0200, Andrea Arcangeli <andrea at cpushare.com> wrote:
>I noticed processEnded is called by threads.

As exarkun noted in the ticket, which is where Andrea should have responded in the first place:

    http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1667

Andrea don't understand the purpose of that code (he's effectively reading it backwards) and disabling it will make the situation with processes and threads worse, not better.  Please don't apply this patch (or any of his patches) to your own copies of Twisted.

Also, please don't follow his example and re-post your own patches which have been rejected because they are buggy to the mailing list.

I hope that everyone on this list has the good sense not to listen to Mr. Arcangeli's creative interpretations of reality by now, but in case not, this line should give you a clue:

> (there were bugs but I've fixed them all)

This from a man who believes that unit tests are a "waste of time".

It may indeed be possible to use some random snapshot of web2 in a production setting; however, you have a virtual guarantee from the entire Twisted team that the web2 API _will_ change incompatibly before it's released, and that we will _not_ support any use of it before then.  I am personally hoping that we can make some major incompatible changes, (as I have said before) specifically the substitution of something else for the deferred 'streams' API.  I'm not a web2 maintainer so I might be talked out of that *specific* change, but it's just an example.

(Keep in mind that the only person willing to support it does not have time to write unit tests for his own code, or read responses to tickets he has filed explaining why his understanding is incorrect.)

If you want to accelerate the process of web2 actually being maintained and supported as a stable API, we're always interested in hearing about donations of resources or time.  Divmod, in particular, would like to have some excuse to help web2 get finished so we can port Nevow over and stop supporting web1, but we don't have any resources of our own to spare at the moment.