[Twisted-Python] Question about PB and multicast

Eric Mangold teratorn at twistedmatrix.com
Wed May 17 07:32:00 MDT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006 21:57:39 +1000, Chaz. <eprparadocs at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am building an application that has tens of thousands of clients.
> There are times when I need to talk to quite a few of the clients using
> PB.
>
> When I have to talk to a single (or a few) clients via PB I do the
> normal thing - issue multiple calls. In the cases where I have to talk
> to quite a few clients I had thought of changing the object I am sending
> to include the names of the machines I am interested in talking to. I
> would then send it via multicast using PB. I know this would require
> some changes on the PB side, but I am wondering if anyone sees a problem
> doing this?
>
> Peace,
> Chaz.

PB connections were only ever designed to operate between two peers. It's
designed to run over a reliable stream protocol, e.g. TCP.

TCP doesn't work over Multicast (it doesn't make any sense, if you think
about it). If you want to use Multicast, I think you'll pretty much have
to write your own thing using UDP.

-Eric