[Twisted-Python] Multiple main loops

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Tue May 2 16:40:49 MDT 2006

On Tue, 02 May 2006 17:50:16 +0200, Markus Schiltknecht <markus at bluegap.ch> wrote:

>Because my biggest itch with twisted is, that it can not really make use
>multi-processor systems. Especially nowadays with dual-core or even
>multi-core processors hitting the market this seems like a must-have.

s/Twisted/Python/g

Python maintains a global interpreter lock which prevents the interpreter from running on more than one CPU at a time.  If you want to take advantage of multiple CPUs with Twisted, you have to spawn multiple communicating processes, not threads.

Even if you *could* take advantage of multiple processors by using threads, making Twisted generally thread-safe would be a HUGE undertaking, probably spanning years, and I cannot imagine anyone on the current development team would care about this as a feature, with so many other major issues looming.