Hilarious dream-logic (was Re: [Twisted-Python] [patch] (etc)

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Fri May 19 01:26:05 EDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:25:07PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
[..]

> But for all other patches I posted, they should be applied to
> everybody's own twisted copy. Including the "no it isn't", since the bug
> exists and needs fixing or I get exceptions.

Would you be so kind as to include details of these exceptions in your bug
reports on trac next time?

Having some extra detail would help us understand the circumstances of the
apparent bug -- and help someone with some free time construct an automated test
to replicate it.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else report your bugs, and at least one of your bug
reports has turned out to be quite wrong, so the extra information would help us
to determine if the bug is really ours or perhaps a misunderstanding of yours of
how to use Twisted (which in turn might be due to a documentation bug...).

While I'm on the subject, it would have been good if you'd attached the patches
directly in the bug reports in the first place, rather than pasting links that
have since broken.  Aside from being robust against you breaking your links, it
follows the normal conventions the developers expect: i.e. that patches are in
the bug report, where they're easy to find and automatically mailed to
subscribers and whatnot.  It saves us time, which gives us more time to actually
fix things.

In short: help us help you.  A bug report consisting of a single sentence in the
summary and a link to a patch isn't trying very hard to communicate with us
about an issue you have presumably invested time in investigating and
understanding.  Why not share that research with us, so we don't have to
duplicate your effort?

(An example: http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/ticket/1661 is a poor bug report).

I find it odd that you have so much time to debate our development methods on
this mailing list, but apparently no time to try to communicate details about
your bugs or discuss them.  Seeing as you are so confident in telling us how we
should spend our time, let me return the favour: you should spend more time
explaining your bug reports.  I'll note that a clearly written test case can be
an adequate explanation...

By the way, you can easily find your bugs in trac here:
   http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/search?q=andrea&ticket=on

-Andrew.