[Twisted-Python] Re: callFromThread [was Hilarious dream-logic]

Scott Lamb slamb at slamb.org
Thu May 18 18:01:02 EDT 2006

On May 18, 2006, at 2:34 PM, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> I understand that English isn't your first language, and I don't
> blame you for that, but you can find the documentation for these
> APIs here:
>
> http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/
> twisted.internet.interfaces.IReactorThreads.html
>
> and I think the descriptions are easy enough to understand.

Actually, English is my first language, and I'm confused every time I
see those functions. It's probably too late to change the name, but
might I suggest changing the first sentence of callFromThread's
docstring from:

     Call a function from within another (i.e. non-reactor) thread.

to:

     Cause a function to be executed asynchronously on the reactor
thread.

This is the language used by SwingUtilities.invokeLater(), which I've
always found comparatively clear.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/javax/swing/
SwingUtilities.html#invokeLater(java.lang.Runnable)

Regards,
Scott

--
Scott Lamb <http://www.slamb.org/>