[Twisted-Python] twisted.protocols.telnet or twisted.conch.telnet?

James Schend blakeyrat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 11:08:47 MST 2006

I'm still not convinced.  If you look at the API reference under Conch:

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.conch.telnet.html

And the API refrerence under Protocols:

http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.protocols.telnet.Telnet.html

There's a HUGE difference in the amount of documentation available.
Just learning this stuff for the first time, I need as much
documentation as I can get... all the examples, and all the API docs,
seem to be in twisted.protocols.telnet.  And of course I'd much rather
use something that's at version 2.2 than something that's at version
0.6.

If conch is still unstable and hasn't hit 1.0, why is the old
interface deprecated?  It seems silly to deprecate the old interface
if the new one, being unstable, might change and require being
deprecated again.  I'm sorry, I just don't understand.

(FYI, I did download the entire tarball, but I only installed the
"core" because I figured that that was all I needed.  I didn't
anticipate that "correct" telnet interface had moved because, again,
this isn't documented in the API reference, which I looked at before
installing.)

You say that Conch is better... how is it better?  Is
twisted.protocol.telnet going away in the near future?  What the heck
should I be using?  Other than the deprecated warning, I'm inclined to
use the "old" twisted.protocols.telnet interface which at least has
examples and documented functions.

Thanks again for your help.  It looks like I found your toolset in the
midst of some huge confusing rewrite or something.  :)  Just my luck.