[Twisted-Python] twisted.protocols.telnet or twisted.conch.telnet?

James Schend blakeyrat at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 18:13:50 EST 2006

I'm new to both Twisted and Python, so excuse this question if it's a
stupid one.

I'm trying to create a telnet server for a MUD, and the twisted
classes look to be the easiest way to accomplish this.  I've found an
example on an archived post on this mailing list which used:

from twisted.protocols.telnet import *

When I run that example, I get the message that
twisted.protocols.telnet is deprecated and I should instead be using
twisted.conch.telnet.  So I made the switch, and then got the error
that conch wasn't found.  After digging around for a couple hours,
I've found out the following:

1) "conch" isn't part of the core install of Twisted, so I had to run
the installer again to get it.  In addition, it hasn't reached 1.0 yet
and is marked as "unstable."

2) "conch" has barely any documentation in the API reference:
http://twistedmatrix.com/documents/current/api/twisted.conch.telnet.html

Is there something I'm missing here, or is Twisted telling me that I
should be using an unstable <1.0 library with no documentation that's
not even part of the core install instead of a 2.2 version library
with good documentation that *is* part of the core install?  Is this
deprecated warning in the wrong spot?  I don't get it.

Thanks for your help.