[Twisted-Python] Degrading under load

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Fri Mar 10 04:36:46 EST 2006

Alec wrote:
> I should add here that in our case, the load was driven not by
> connection/disconnection events, but by the number of established
> connections. When that number was in the vicinity of 5000, system poll()
> became very slow (we run poll reactor).

Wait a minute, how do the OS networking layers scale
with that many open connections? Are you sure this is
a twisted problem? Maybe you would be better off with
several cheaper boxes rather than one expensive one.
(I realize that for a chat server, that rather complicates
things, but it may be worth it.)

-Yitz