[Twisted-Python] Status of wxPython support in Twisted 2.1: use wxreactor

Steve Freitas sflist at ihonk.com
Thu Jun 29 19:41:05 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 11:06 -0400, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
> wxreactor in Twisted 2.1 uses threadedselectreactor. This means that wx
> apps ought to use wxreactor, not TSR directly; there are some issues
> with vanilla TSR wx integration that are also present in wxreactor, but
> will be fixed in future versions of wxreactor.
>
> What's broken (there may be more):
> 1. reactor shutdown events aren't handled correctly (e.g. Deferred
> returned from during-shutdown event).
> 2. Signal handling for e.g. Ctrl-C is caught by wx, not twisted.
>
> In order to get these fixed I need your help. I have a version of
> wxreactor that *probably* fixes these in Subversion trunk. You can try
> it out by running doc/core/examples/wxdemo.py. Hitting Ctrl-C, choosing
> Exit from the menu or closing the menu all should have the same effect -
> the application logs "shutting down in 0.3 seconds...", "2", "1", "0"
> then exits. In addition, "Hello world" should continue to be printed
> while the dialog box is open or you are holding down a menu.
>
> Please try this out, and report success or failure at
> <http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs/issue1235>. I'm especially interested to
> hear if it works on Windows or Mac OS X. Please include your OS and
> version of wxPython/wxWidgets when submitting reports.

Hi Itamar,

So, rushing in where, ahh, somebody else fears to tread, I've decided to
use wx and Twisted on a project. Any updates on this I should know
about? Anything I can help you with? I'm noticing my own cheesie hello
world (PythonCard's 'counter' example all cozy snuggly with wxreactor)
doesn't quit on a ctrl-c with Twisted 2.2.0 on Debian unstable -- not
really sure what that means, just thought I'd mention it.

Steve