[Twisted-Python] Compressing PB communication

Tzahi Fadida Tzahi.ML at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 00:41:09 MDT 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 02:21, glyph at divmod.com wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:42:41 +0300, Tzahi Fadida <tzahi.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> >I am interested in compressing the PB objects after serialization and
> >unpacking when received at the other side.
>
> Have you actually measured the size of the PB data you are thinking about
> compressing?  PB's serialization tends to be extremely tight.

Yes, it's about 20megabytes of data (~20000 records).
Although, each client only get this once when they log on
and each time their cache is wiped.
This is one of the reasons i backed off using
a solution like XUL together with XMLRPC solutions and javascript,
it would not hold (i tried). My only choice is to use pyGTK with
either pyro/twisted and in the end i decided on going with twisted
because of security concerns that are weighted with performance.
This is why i was very insistent on compressing after serialization,
so all the security features will be kept intact.
10x.