[Twisted-Python] Scheduling tasks in twisted

Moof moof at metamoof.net
Tue Jun 27 11:13:23 MDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Stéphane Brault <stephane_brault at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm developping servers which communicate with webservices. I need to have
>  looping tasks making calls every x (x depends on the task). My communication
>  code works well but I'm not sure how to add scheduled tasks. Do I have to add
>  a scheduler service, if so how should i go ? Or is there another way ?

If you just need a function called every x seconds, then you can use a
twisted.internet.service.TimerService attached to your application in
the .tac file.

If you want to do it outside the service architecture, then
twisted.internet.task.LoopingCall is more your sort of thing.

To my knowledge, there is no cron-style scheduler in twisted, which
would allow you to run  at 9:00am every day or second tuesday or
schedules to that effect. You may wish to use cron to do that, running
applications that connect to your daemon using pb or some other
similar mechanism and trigger the action.

That being said, I'm currenly considering writing such a service for
twisted itself, too.

Moof