[Twisted-Python] Re: Twisted-friendly Message bus

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jun 16 14:38:08 MDT 2006

Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> writes:

> All,
>
> I've run into "this service needs to know about this event from this
> other service" once too often. It's message bus time, baby.
(...)
> Suggestions?

You could go with a signal dispatcher mechanism.  PyDispatcher works
well, although the actual signal delivery is synchronous.  But it has
nice features such as weak references to receivers so no need to worry
about cleanup when a receiver disappears.

There's also a package, Louie, based on PyDispatcher which in theory
added support for Twisted among other things.  We're still using
PyDispatcher (I don't recall exactly why I didn't want to move to
Louie - maybe we were still on Python 2.2 at the time) ourselves.

http://pydispatcher.sourceforge.net  (also has a ref to Louie)

-- David