[Twisted-Python] Bullets for the twisted proselytizer gun?

Eric Faurot eric.faurot at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 06:02:50 MDT 2006

Hi all,

I will probably have a chance to be in charge of a (commercial)
project that consists in developping a platform for handling
distributed content, with XML-flavored chips and webby services.  I am
also confident that my voice will be heard concerning the technical
aspects of the project.  My wish is of course to use twisted for that.
But I will have to convince people with the tie and the money, who
tragically are also the ones who are most sensible to buzzwords.

The LAMP case will be rather easy to deal with.  I'll show no mercy.
My concern is that the dreadful J2EE acronym has already been uttered.
I have programmed a bit in java already, and I never liked it.  I find
it cumbersome and boring.  Although I can certainly do that if I am
forced to, I want to avoid it at (nearly) all cost.  But I don't have
enough experience to plead effectively against it.  I doubt that
intuition and aesthetic inclinations are really convincing arguments.

So, I'd like to ask twisted enthiusiasts with better knowledge and
experience of J2EE than I have, if they could provide meaningful
points for advocating python/twisted over J2EE, pro and cons for each.

My main argument so far is that I am *way* more fluent in python, so I
am more likely to come up with a prototype quickly.  Also, the
flexibility of python makes early refactoring much easier, and it is
always possible to reimplement things in another language once the
architecture stabilizes.  I also think python is more portable than
java, but that would sound a bit anecdotal.

Thanks for your input.
Eric.