[Twisted-Python] Need words of wisdom regarding PB

Paul G paul-lists at perforge.com
Thu Jun 29 20:15:45 EDT 2006

chaz,

quick note: please don't top post (in replies to me, anyway). just common
courtesy.

in my context, the solution was meant as a synchronization method with some
application-level logic to be used instead of rsync (i didn't need
differencing and needed some complicated candidacy logic). the pb client
simply opened multiple connections and sent data chunks labelled with chunk
id and object id, multiplexed over the connection pool, with the chunks
being pulled out of a queue that a threadpool reading from disk and
optionally gzipping data was writing to. i didn't need to write logic to
grow the connection pool to maximize bandwidth (i easily saturated a
fast-e), but that would be trivial.

note: i do not advocate doing this unless there is a very good reason
existing tools won't work for your application. reinventing the wheel makes
baby jesus cry.

-p