[Twisted-Python] Twisted and ZSI - any examples/words of wisdom?

Thomas Jacob jacob at internet24.de
Mon Jun 19 11:02:47 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 10:11 -0400, Chaz. wrote:
> Right now I support XML-RPC but people have clamored for SOAP, so SOAP
> it is as well.

It's really popular, especially among .NET disciples ... ;)

> Personally I think sending stuff in ASCII text is silly, but it is out
> there today as (a more or less) standard.

Well, it's certainly not something that speeds up processing, but
it makes systems much easier to debug, if the underlying messaging
system
doesn't work as it should. Which of course happens far more
often with SOAP than with other systems.

Actually, SOAP would be quite nice, if it 1) were standardised
enough to really allow condition free interoperability, 2) were less
bloated and 3) didn't simply ignore major parts of the actual
RPC/Document
request process in the standard.

The WS-I people (http://www.ws-i.org/)  try to address these things, in
an attempt to "standardise the standard" and by adding additional
stuff like WS-Security (standardised security credentials
handling) and WS-Addressing (actually specifying
the service endpoint/protocol inside a SOAP message).

Maybe that will improve the situation somewhat, python's ZSI
is at least tracking those developments.

   -Thomas