[Twisted-Python] Re: Tracking twisted repository post 2.4.0?

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Jun 16 16:24:48 EDT 2006

glyph at divmod.com writes:

> On 15 Jun 2006 20:07:58 -0400, David Bolen <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
> >We've got some locally maintained modifications to Twisted that prior
> >to 2.4.0 we were tracking by syncing our repository with the Twisted
> >trunk (as a vendor) at the overall official tags.
>
> Have you submitted those as patches in the bugtracker?  If so, are
> we being really sluggish about applying them? :)

It depends.  There really aren't many of them but a few are changes to
PB to pass some additional types (such as mx.DateTime) that I don't
really see as valid for general incorporation into Twisted, but that
were the simplest way to resolve some issues for ourselves in the
past.  There was also an ongoing email discussion about better passing
of exception objects through PB that we implemented during the
discussion but I am not certain if all the same support got committed
into the core (it wasn't clear at the time what was willing to be
accepted).

Others did get submitted (see ticket 669), but show an example of how
even when a fix does eventually make it in (in this case via a
reworked implementation) there can be a long period of time - across
multiple Twisted "releases" - where we need to maintain it as a local
patch for our own operations before we can retire it.

> As you have unfortunately noticed with this change... we don't
> currently provide any support for configurations like this.  I'd
> personally like to discourage it, because long-term local
> modifications to Twisted indicate a failure of process, either you
> submitting them or us accepting them.

But I think it's somewhat unrealistic to expect there not to be short
term local modifications - certainly I find that to be fairly common
with a large percentage of open source packages I track.  It's not
unexpected - when I fix something locally it's normally to scratch an
immediate itch I have, but there's bound to be some latency before
either it can be cleaned up for a good submission to the package
maintainer and/or it gets accepted/applied.  It's unfortunate that the
recent changes in the Twisted source tree aren't that friendly to
doing this (particularly with generally easy ways to handle such
issues with CVS and/or Subversion).

Long term I'd agree - although I do still see times where some
modifications just won't likely get accepted back and will be
maintained for a while.

> >I can understand why there is no single tag for the trunk, since an overall
> >"Sumo" release of twisted
>
> To reduce confusion we're trying to remove the word "sumo"
> everywhere.  If you spot that word still being used somewhere on the
> site it's a bug, please let us know.
>
> Right now it's just "a release of Twisted".

No problem.  Off the top of my head I only remember noticing it on the
web site on the "What is Twisted" page, but I think it was in an older
News entry.

> but until that happens, the setup.py files for separate projects
> determine a fairly arbitrary collection of files.  Specifically,
> ownership of twisted/plugins/ is spread out between all subprojects.
> Also, some files are moved around; the "topfiles" directory is
> pulled out to the root of each subproject as part of the release
> process.

I did notice that but figured I'd ignore the root files when combining
for a vendor dump (since they also existed independently under
topfiles).

I suppose I could try just executing the setup for each sub-project I
am interested in, and using the result of the build directory as the
appropriate collection of files.  At least that way I'm properly in
sync with what is considered part of each sub-project.

> Divmod doesn't track Twisted releases through SVN; any changes we are
> in the process of contributing but which haven't been released are
> kept in our utility package "Epsilon".  Epsilon has a "hotfixes"
> module which allows us to modify Twisted's behavior in cases where we
> really need to modify the library rather than just package additional
> functionality outside it -- you might look at that implementation as
> an example of a way to formalize monkeypatching and reduce its
> fragility.

Perhaps, although to be honest, I'd be contrasting that effort versus
just using the source code system's capabilities, since managing such
local modifications is one of the things it does reasonably well, and
I already do for a number of other projects we use.

But thanks, at least I know I'm not missing something obvious from the
transition to the 2.4.0 tagging approach.

-- David