[Twisted-Python] PB and other distributed object protocols

Stephen Waterbury golux at comcast.net
Thu Jun 8 09:30:17 EDT 2006

Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
>> PB is what I really want to use for my project, but I need something
>> that's close to ready-for-prime-time, and I've been waiting literally
>> years for PB, so in the meantime I'm looking at other candidates.
>
> At the risk of being too obvious, we've been using PB as shipped with
> Twisted since 1.3.0, and it's worked very well for us.  Are you saying
> there's specific stuff you need from newpb that's not in the current
> implementation ?

Yes:  forward compatibility.  ;)   I've written PB code, too, and that
code doesn't work with newpb.  Not that I would expect it to, given the
fairly substantial changes Brian made in developing newpb, nor do I
think it would be good to have that as a constraint on newpb.

Given newpb's list of features:

http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/NewPB

... what would you *not* want??  ;)  But of course, you said "need".
My impression is that newpb will be more scalable, which is something
my app will definitely need.  Also, the better serialization
architecture will be important, as some of my objects can be large.
And the serializability of "most inert Python types", while not
essential, is very nice to have.  Also, my code is interface-driven,
for which newpb is better adapted (so to speak :).

Steve