[Twisted-Python] Is twisted the right tool for this job?

Bad Bob thebadbob at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:20:01 MDT 2006

Hi all.

I'm writing a simple image archive program. The program is for indexing a
whole lot of pictures we sell on a CD. The focus of the product is on the
pictures, not the viewer, so it's pretty simple; it just shows the pictures,
sorted by category's, resizes them to whatever size the user wants (with
imagemagick), and searches though the collection.

Right now, the program is using a Twisted webserver in the backend. All the
pages are dynamic, based off one template file. The gui is a very simple
Venster (venster.sf.net) frontend, mainly consisting of a web browser
control, and some code to open a file-save dialog when the user clicks save
to save a picture.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this. Perhaps twisted is a bit
too much for all of this? Another problem is when Twisted opens up the
server port, firewalls start complaining. Perhaps there is a better way.
Also, if there is something better then venster for a front end, I'd be glad
to hear about that, too.

-Robert