[Twisted-Python] UDP question

jarrod roberson jarrod at vertigrated.com
Sat Jul 8 15:57:24 MDT 2006

On 7/8/06, Alec Matusis <matusis at matusis.com> wrote:

> I have a question about using UDP in twisted. I hope people will forgive
> my
> naiveté, since my background is in physics, not in CS, so I am self-taught
> and may be missing something obvious.
>
> I would like a server to send UDP broadcasts to multiple clients, where
> all
> clients receive the same broadcast.
>
> >From what I understood from
> http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/udp.html
> Multicast UDP section, one can have a client broadcast the same UDP packet
> to multiple servers, each server listening on the same port for this
> multicast.
> This is unacceptable for me, since all of this must happen on the same
> machine, so I cannot bind multiple servers to the same port on one box. So
> am trying to implement a reverse scenario, where the server will do the
> multicast to clients, but all clients and the server may (or may not) be
> running on the same box.

actually you can, you need to read up on how MULTICAST works.
It isn't the same thing as uni-cast UDP.
You can have as many processes listening on a single MULTICAST UDP port as
you like.

ZeroConf / Apple Bonjour ( formerly Rendezous ) usings multicast udp to do
just that.

How can I do this in twisted? Could you give me and example? Thanks.

--
If you don't know what you want, you probably need a nap.