[Twisted-Python] Process completion not detected on HP-UX (#608)

Glenn Hochberg gah at research.att.com
Mon Jul 31 15:58:40 EDT 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 1:51 PM, glyph at divmod.com wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:57:48 -0400, Jean-Paul Calderone
> <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
>
>>> Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "buildbot" exactly--obviously
>>> something that builds Twisted, but is it something I'd run
>>> myself, or  something that needs to be accessible from the
>>> Internet?  I could  help out in the short term, but I'm no HP-UX
>>> wiz; I'm only using it  for one particular project because that's
>>> the hardware they run it on  (to my dismay).
>>
>> It's the thing driving this page:
>>
>>  http://twistedmatrix.com/buildbot/
>>
>> It's how we can tell if Twisted works on various platforms or
>> not.  Without
>> a buildslave running on a particular platform, we have no way to
>> keep track
>> of whether changes being made are correct on that platform.
>
> If you're interested in setting up a build slave, http://
> buildbot.sourceforge.net/README would be a good place to start: see
> the "setting up a build slave" section.
>
> IIRC, you'll need some cooperation from our end as well but that
> should get you started.

Sadly, I will not be able to set up a build slave, as I do not have a
machine that is accessible from the general internet.  Also, the HP
testdrive machines cannot make outgoing connections, so they would
not be able to do checkouts.

However, I am still interested in finding a solution to #608.  If we
can come up with a patch that fixes the problem on HP-UX w/o breaking
anything on any other platform, would that be sufficient?  You could
then test that it does no harm, at least, and I could test whether
the fix actually works on HP-UX.

What approach would you recommend in troubleshooting the problem--is
there built-in debugging that can be turned on that might give me
some more detailed information, or do I need to start adding log or
print statements?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

   -Glenn