[Twisted-Python] What is the best way to install Twisted on OS X 10.4?

David Reid dreid at dreid.org
Fri Jul 14 14:50:00 EDT 2006

Aaron Rustad wrote:
> I'm having a hard time running a TwistedWords example.
> [OS X 10.4, MacPython 2.4, Python 2.3.5, latest stable build of
> TwistedSumo]
>
> I have installed (correctly I think) zopeinterfaces/core/words/web,
> but when I invoke:
>
> /usr/local/bin/python msn_example.py
>

> I get the following error:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "msn_example.py", line 11, in ?
>    from twisted.protocols import msn
>  File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/protocols/msn.py",
>
> line 6, in ?
>    globals())
>  File
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/twisted/python/util.py",
>
> line 725, in moduleMovedForSplit
>    raise ImportError("You need to have the Twisted %s "
> ImportError: You need to have the Twisted Words package installed to
> use twisted.protocols.msn. See
> http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/words.
>

> Your help is greatly appreciated [I'm a noob to Python and Twisted,
> but I know bit about OS X].
> Thanks!
> Aaron.

It may make your life generally easier to note that I've built a
meta-package that includes all of twisted and zope, and pycrypto, and
pyopenssl built for MacPython 2.4.  I don't know what you may have
messed up during the install (perhaps you used /usr/bin/python (which
should point to 2.3) for the install.)  But people seem pretty happy
with my packages.

http://dreid.org/twisted/Twisted-2.4.0_py2.4-KitchenSink.dmg

- -David

- --
"Usually the protocol is this: I appoint someone for a task,
which they are not qualified to do.  Then, they have to fight
a bear if they don't want to do it." -- Glyph Lefkowitz