[Twisted-Python] UDP question

Alec Matusis matusis at matusis.com
Sat Jul 8 15:31:51 EDT 2006

I have a question about using UDP in twisted. I hope people will forgive my
naiveté, since my background is in physics, not in CS, so I am self-taught
and may be missing something obvious.

I would like a server to send UDP broadcasts to multiple clients, where all
clients receive the same broadcast.

>From what I understood from
http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/documentation/howto/udp.html
Multicast UDP section, one can have a client broadcast the same UDP packet
to multiple servers, each server listening on the same port for this
multicast.
This is unacceptable for me, since all of this must happen on the same
machine, so I cannot bind multiple servers to the same port on one box. So I
am trying to implement a reverse scenario, where the server will do the
multicast to clients, but all clients and the server may (or may not) be
running on the same box.

How can I do this in twisted? Could you give me and example? Thanks.