[Twisted-Python] pb.cacheable: adjustable cache depth?

Anand Patil anand at soe.ucsc.edu
Tue Dec 12 12:01:19 MST 2006

>They don't have that capability, no. I guess you could modify them to do
>that, but I can't think of why you would want to.
>
>If you're not sure that's what you want to do, then it might help to
>explain what you're trying to accomplish and someone on this list may be
>able to help you.

This is a statistical algorithm I'm trying to parallelize to run on a
cluster, and the serial version strongly suggests that the behavior I've
asked for would be a big help.

I'll try to describe my serial algorithm succinctly, any advice on
parallelizing it would be extremely welcome.

I have a bunch of objects which are nodes in a  directed acyclic graph.
I've pseudocoded them in the attached file. What I'd like to do is push
some of the nodes off to other processes running on the cluster and have
them retain references to their parents. I'll then make repeated calls
to all nodes' get_prob() methods and periodically update their values.

It would be nice to make Node.value something like a Cacheable. I'd like
it to store n remote references, with a timestamp (this just needs to be
an integer counter, as in the pseudocode) attached to each. When
queried, it could return its timestamp and value as a tuple.

Thanks again,
Anand