[Twisted-Python] robust listenUDP with N clients?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Dec 4 09:33:19 MST 2006

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:28:57 -0500, marc bohlen <marcbohlen at acm.org> wrote:
>hi folks
>
>I am new to twisted and new to server programming. Nonetheless, I would like
>to build a robust client-server looping mechanism in which a server would
>listen for input from N clients, say 10, and react immediately when it
>receives data from them. I have a sample (see below) that appears to run
>well, but am not sure if it will scale under real network load and larger N.
>(I am parsing the input data received from the clients and using it to
>calculate a fibonnaci series, just for testing. The reactor can be stopped
>with keyboard input (I am on a win32 platform)).
>
>If you see any problems with this approach, please let me know !
>Thanks, marc

You probably need to be more specific to get many useful responses.  What
do you expect N to go to?  Why do you use multiple ports?  Why are you
using UDP?  What do you mean by "robust"?  What does the Fibonnaci calculation
have to do with the application?  Is the keyboard input handling code
relevant or just part of the example?  Is win32 your development platform
or your deployment platform or both?

Jean-Paul