[Twisted-Python] Problems with building of twisted-2.4.0

Robert Gravina robert at gravina.com
Wed Dec 6 03:03:20 EST 2006

> Hi all,
> I am new to Twisted.When building ZopeInterface-3.1.0-0c1 got the
> messages as the following:
>
>  ...build/temp.linux-i686-2.4/Dependencies/zope.interface-
> ZopeInterface-3.1.0c1/zope.interface/_zope_interface_coptimizations.o
> unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
>
> What does mean by that?
> Which packages I need for building Twisted/ZopeInterface?
> Thanks alot.

It seems that you are running Linux, but don't have GCC (a C
compiler) installed. Parts of Zope Interface (and Twisted, too) are
written in C, so one is needed. Most Linux distributions install one
automatically, but as far as I know some don't if you don't  ask it
to install development software. Either that, or it's installed but
not in your PATH.

Anyhow, there should be a GUI program for adding/removing programs,
so use it to install "gcc". If not,  and you are using Ubuntu or
Debian "apt-get install gcc" or for Fedora try "yum install gcc" and
then try building Twisted again.

Please excuse me if you know all this already (you are building
Twisted after all). It just seems like problem is that GCC is not
installed/cannot be found.

Robert