[Twisted-Python] Reliable Datagram Protocol?

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Fri Aug 25 09:18:32 MDT 2006

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 08:26:23 -0400, "Chaz." <eprparadocs at gmail.com> wrote:
>I have need for a reliable datagram protocol running under Twisted. So far I
>have found AirHook (2003) and an RDP implementation that was posted on p2p-
>hackers (2004). I have also found Divmod's Vertex.

Vertex's "reliable datagram protocol" is a rather literal-minded re-implementation of TCP on UDP.  This won't help you with multicast.  Its purpose is to get through NATs.

It's definitely not ready for prime-time, either.  It's suffering from an extreme lack of maintenance as Divmod is trying to ship an unrelated product, and in the meanwhile some rather serious bugs have been discovered.  While it would only take a few weeks of work to fix those issues, it has never been deployed in a realistic way.

However, its "PTCP" implementation may be a valuable learning tool.  I would recommend familiarizing yourself with what TCP does; the first time I wrote Vertex I tried to do some clever things because I thought I didn't need "all of" TCP, but I was dead wrong.  TCP is an extremely sophisticated protocol that gets a lot of the issues completely right.