[Twisted-Python] Is Twisted adequate for usage in reactive robots?

Willi Richert w.richert at gmx.net
Tue Aug 15 04:52:53 EDT 2006

Hi Twisted developers,

for our soccer robot we are evaluating moving away from Java for the high
level behavior code in parts to Python. At the moment we have a bunch of Java
threads that listen at the various comm. channels for incoming and outgoing
messages and pass them to the main Java processing thread.

We plan to reimplement all the basic behavior stuff (move to, avoid, ...) that
returns abstract movement commands in Python. For that the Python process has
to communicate with a bunch of processes (particle filter, etc.) using our
own robotics optimized message format (the same format is used to communicate
using TCP/IP, CAN, serial). After I've read a bunch of success stories I
thought that maybe Twisted could be used to abstract all the gory low-level
network details. Would that be advisable for a highly reactive robot? The
main loop of the Python process would have to run at 50Hz. Longer taking
calculation process are processed in a separate thread. Is there any
comparison regarding asynchronous and thread execution/latency/... speeds?

Regards,
wr