[Twisted-Python] Status of components, protocols, etc in Twisted

glyph at divmod.com glyph at divmod.com
Sun Apr 30 21:27:29 EDT 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:09:00 +0200, Terry Jones <tcj25 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>I'm trying to better understand componentized architectures, protocols,
>adaptors etc., as done in Python. I've been reading around and have a few
>questions about the state of play. It would be good to understand where
>things are, and where they're heading.
>
>It seems there are (or were) 3 efforts to provide components, protocols,
>adaptors, etc.: Zope, Twisted, PyProtocols.

Today, Twisted simply provides a single global registry on top of Zope Interface's normal layer.  Twisted's original interface implementation was derivative of Zope's and introduced some horrible bugs and some interesting ideas; the interesting ideas were incorporated into Zope, and the horrible bugs left behind.

>It looks like Twisted is now using the zope module to do this. But I also
>ran across discussion (on this list, in Feb 2004, I think), about possibly
>migrating zope's use of components to PyProtocols. Did that happen?

No.  Some people liked PyProtocols better, but we had the discussion, we made the decision, and Zope Interface has worked out very well.