[Twisted-Python] .tap and twistd and persistence

Mike Pelletier mike at mkp.ca
Sat Apr 15 12:22:37 EDT 2006

On Friday 14 April 2006 18:56, Matt Feifarek wrote:
> I've been using twisted for a couple of years, and am re-writing my
> application yet-again to make it even more twisty, so I'm trying to use the
> persistence mechanisms that come from services and applications, and I have
> hit a snag.

I don't have any insight on your particular problems, but the wisdom of the
list seems to be that the automatic persistence features are not intended for
production-grade applications, but rather for debugging and development.
Most authors I'd trust have stated that you're better off to save your state
yourself on shutdown rather than rely upon the app-shutdown.tap turds.

There has also been debate about whether or not mktap plugins are even a good
idea at all for new applications.  At any rate, I don't think it receives the
same attention from the core developers that it once did.  The moral seems to
be that just because something is provided by Twisted does not mean it's a
best practice.

Mike.