[Twisted-Python] debian weirdness

Phil Christensen phil at bubblehouse.org
Sat Apr 15 11:20:26 EDT 2006

hey all...

just dropping a line to see if any of you have noticed a strange
buglet that i've seen on debian a number of times.

basically, after installing twisted (SVN trunk, not a package), when
i use apt for various other things, i'll get this error:

[jupiter:~/WebServer/jupiter.bubblehouse.org] phil% sudo apt-get
install trac
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
[blah blah blah]
(Reading database ... 40322 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking trac (from .../archives/trac_0.9.4-2_all.deb) ...
Setting up trac (0.9.4-2) ...
Compiling /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/twisted/test/
stdio_test_halfclose.py ...
   File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/twisted/test/
stdio_test_halfclose.py", line 20
     ???
     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
[blah blah blah]

this isn't a big deal, because i can just go in and edit the file,
removing what appears to be simply three question-marks, but i
thought this was pretty strange. it's doesn't seem to be in the
original source in SVN, and i've noticed this occurring on both
Debian and Ubuntu, on various servers.

it obviously doesn't seem like a Twisted problem, but I can't think
of what could be happening here...I've seen this on well-travelled
installations like my server, as well as on freshly-installed
machines at work.

just wondering if anyone else has encountered this...

-phil