[Twisted-Python] twisted.vfs issues - web2 dependency

Andy Gayton andy at thecablelounge.com
Thu Sep 29 05:25:07 MDT 2005

I'll have another shot at this :)

Jp Calderone wrote:
>    * web2 is unreleased

vfs is unreleased.  I think it's pretty safe to say it should stay that
way at least until web2 is released.

>    * web2's APIs are unstable

vfs' APIs are obscenely unstable.

>    * vfs is more generally applicable than web2

as is web2's stream.  As James pointed hopefully stream will eventually
move into twisted core.

 >    * web2's stream abstraction is not generally agreed upon

fair point.  but this just means as stream's abstraction is reworked to
meet general consensus - vfs will need to be rewritten to meet the changes.

 >  If you like, we can talk more about how this interface should work.
 > However, my first inclination is to say that it should use the existing
 > producer/consumer APIs.

It would be fairly straight forward to add an adapter from ivfs to
producer/consumers if someone has a need for it.

I personally was keen to use streams with vfs as, being new project that
has the luxury of being unstable, I wanted to pitch at were twisted was
heading.  I was also hoping to add to web2's momentum - nevow on web2
still feels a long way off and its something I'd really like to see.

Andy.