[Twisted-Python] internet.TimerSevice in twisted.scripts.twistw

Andrew Bennetts andrew-twisted at puzzling.org
Thu Sep 22 03:19:53 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 10:59:13AM +0200, Maciej Szumocki wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Just a question that has been bugging me and i can't figure out the answer on my own.
>  Why is there a line like this in python.scripts._twistw runApp:
>
>     app.startApplication(internet.TimerService(0.1, lambda:None), 0)
>
>  while there is no such thing in python.scripts.twistd? Is it some Windows-specific
>  workaround i need to worry about if i run my application without using twistd?

This seems to be a work around for the problem that Ctrl-C doesn't interrupt
select on win32, so the event loop needs to be periodically woken up to give
python a chance to process signals.

However, the select reactor and win32 reactor at least already have
workarounds for this, so I'm not sure why twistw bothers.

-Andrew.