[Twisted-Python] Re: GUI responsiveness

Stefano Masini stefano at pragma2000.com
Thu Sep 15 03:29:16 MDT 2005

On 9/15/05, Nicola Larosa <nico at teknico.net> wrote:
> > Worse, I don't see a satisfactory way to deal
> > with the problem if it stems from some internal bit of Twisted taking
> > too big of a time slice.
>
> Two noticeable cases of that are (de)serialization in PB and in XML-RPC code.

Thinking about event handling taking up too much time, I once hacked
my reactor in order to measure the time taken by each callback and
send warnings when the execution time was longer than 0.something... I
found it useful to track down some horrible implementation that I left
behind and forgot about.

Is there something like this somewhere in twisted? Maybe something
that could be turned on and off for debugging?
Of course this would mean extra work at every cycle. Would it be too
bad for performance? I didn't find my hack too bad, but I wasn't
working at critical throughputs, I was just concerned with
responsiveness.

cheers,
stefano