[Twisted-Python] Throttling outgoing client requests

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Sep 12 21:27:42 MDT 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 02:55:31 +1000, Andrew Bennetts <andrew-twisted at puzzling.org> wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:30:51AM -0700, David E. Konerding wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am writing a client usign Twisted that makes a lot of XMLRPC requests
>> simultaneously (using twisted.web.xmlrpc.Proxy).  There are a bunch of
>> them, all to the same site,
>> and when I run on MacOSX, I start getting bind errors-- I think OS X
>> must have more restricted outgoing network connections that the linux
>> box I normally work on.
>>
>> My goal is to throttle the number of outgoing requests.  I could do this
>> by submitting just one request at a time, and having a deferred callback
>> registered such that when the request completes (successfully or not)
>> the next request is submitting.  But this sort of code flow is pretty
>> contorted.  My other thought would be to just schedule all the calls
>> with a callLater and a randomized delay for each call.  Again, not so clean.
>>
>> Is there a 'clean' way to throttle back the number of ongoing client
>> requests-- perhaps through the xmlrpc.Proxy itself, or through some pattern?
>
>Use twisted.internet.defer.DeferredSemaphore (added in Twisted 2.0).
>
>Rough sketch of how to use it:
>
>    sem = DeferredSemaphore(10) # maximum of 10 jobs at once
>    for job in joblist:
>        d = sem.acquire()
>        d.addCallback(job.run)  # do the work
>        d.addErrback(log.err)   # handle any errors by logging them
>        d.addBoth(lambda x: sem.release())  # trigger the next job

ITYM,

    sem = DeferredSemaphore(10)
    for job in joblist:
        sem.run(job.run).addErrback(log.err)

Note that this isn't the ideal way to queue up a large number of jobs.  The ideal way avoids constructing many more Deferreds than there are outstanding jobs, as well as avoids adding more than a fixed number of callbacks to each Deferred.

Jp