[Twisted-Python] time

Jeff Grimmett grimmtooth at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 07:14:55 MDT 2005

On 9/5/05, Antony Kummel <antonykummel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the convention in Twisted is to measure
> time with python.runtime.seconds. This in turn uses
> time.time which is sensitive to the system clock,
> meaning that it may return decreasing values if the
> user sets the system clock to an earlier time between
> calls. This would likely break many things, no? Why
> not use time.clock or some combination between them?

Seems to me that using the same clock as the rest of the system is the
single best way to ensure that other logs and Twisted's logs agree on the
time stamp.

Just imagine the nightmare if there was an issue pointed to by the twisted
log, but since it was "correct" it couldn't be directly matched up with
another system log that actually pointed to the source of the problem.

This has actually proven to be quite useful for me.

--
"Things fall apart. The Center cannot hold."
- Life as a QA geek, in a nutshell.

Best,

Jeff