[Twisted-Python] twisted.vfs issues

Andy Gayton andy at thecablelounge.com
Thu Sep 29 07:47:07 EDT 2005

Jp Calderone wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 20:35:40 -0400, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sep 28, 2005, at 8:04 PM, Jp Calderone wrote:

(in regards to read/writeChunk)

>> Now, my first inclination is that the current block API *is* the
>> right primitive for a file.
>
> It precludes writing large amounts of data to a file simply.

I think the main reason they've won out till now is that its incrediably
easy to implement for backend implementors, and being so primitive,
extremely easy to compose into higher abstractions (streams,
producers/consumers or a convenience that lets you write large amounts
of data to a file simply) through the use of adaptors.

the ftp adaptor making using of the stream adaptor is a pretty good
example of this.

>> Again, I think that all requests for tearing various adapters and
>> other bits out of twisted.vfs are currently completely premature. At
>> this point in its development, it is critical that adapters for many
>> different systems are created, to make sure that vfs has the
>> appropriate abstractions and APIs to handle all use cases. And given
>> that vfs is itself heavily under development, it makes no sense to
>> request that said adapters be adopted upstream in each other project,
>> yet.
>
> They can be removed from twisted.vfs without being removed from the
> Twisted repository.  Or they could be left in twisted.vfs but developed
> in a branch.  That is policy for major feature development, after all.

I think the vfs stuff would really benefit by being prodded and exposed
to as many use cases as possible.  It's been doing what I need it do for
  around 6 months (except for dav - dav'd be awesome!:)) so it's hard to
find motivation to work on it.

But I appreciate where your coming from.  I taken out the dav adaptor
which was a failed experiment from the first sprint.  I think the only
controversial dependency left is web2, which I've discussed in another mail.

Andy.