[Twisted-Python] how to unittest the deferred

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Wed Sep 28 22:12:23 EDT 2005

On 9/29/05, Hyungyong Kim <yong27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your answer.
>
> But, in this case, any values are OK. Try to test that after replace
> 'result' to 'aaa'. I'm testing it using "trial" command.
>
> 2005/9/29, Jp Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com>:
> > I'm not entirely certain why the above doesn't work, although I could make some good guesses.  Here's the preferred way to write such a test:
> >
> >     class SomeTest(unittest.TestCase):
> >         def test1(self):
> >             d = someFunction()
> >             d.addCallack(self.assertEquals, 'result')
> >             return d
> >
> > Jp
> >

> How can I test that. In my real code, someFunction returns deferred
> from DB connection.

I don't really understand your question.  I'll explain what Trial does
in the hope that I answer it by accident.

If your test returns a Deferred (as in SomeTests.test1), Trial will
wait until that Deferred has fired before proceeding to the next test.

In the example 'test1', someFunction() returns a deferred.  After the
deferred fires (most likely after the connection is made to the
database), self.assertEquals will get called (by your Deferred), kind
of like:
    self.assertEquals(thingReturnedEventuallyBySomeFunction, 'result')

If the assertion fails, Trial will record it as a failure. Otherwise
it will be marked as a success.

If you want to connect to the database, *then* do some testing on
something else, here's how it might look:

class DBTest(unittest.TestCase):
    def testDbThing(self):
        d = getDBConnection()
        d.addCallback(self._cb_testDbThing)
        return d

    def _cb_testDbThing(self, connection):
        d = connection.doSomething()
        d.addCallback(self.assertEquals, 'expectedValue')
        return d

I hope this helps,
jml