[Twisted-Python] Hints for twisted newbie presentation

Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de
Mon Sep 19 16:09:40 EDT 2005

>What do people think are the most important things that a newbie to
>Twisted should know about?

Being rather newbie to twisted myself (but mostly started at 2.0), my 2c:

I guess there are two approaches:
1. Water their mouths with what a lot of great stuff twisted can do.
2. Give an introduction to asynchronous programming and Deferreds.

Both is necessary, but I don't know if you'll have enough time to cover both.
The way from "start with & understanding Deferreds" to "doing great client/server stuff" is not long but rather steep.

I'd warn my auditory of that slope and hope that good programmers will feel stimulated to try it and bad programmers will get discouraged (to keep them away from the "support hotline" of irc and ml). ;-)

So your goal would be to show that the effort is worth trying, but don't advertise an "easy & almighty framework", even if it may be easy, as soon as you managed to wrap your mind around twisted. (I didn't get that far yet.)

HTH

Best regards,
Henning Hraban Ramm
Südkurier Medienhaus / MediaPro