[Twisted-Python] Re: GUI responsiveness

Ed Suominen general at eepatents.com
Wed Sep 14 13:03:39 EDT 2005

I've been following this discussion with some interest because I'm
starting a new project that will be heavily centered around both
MySQL-based persistency  and a graphically demanding GUI.  I took a look
at wxPython but was somewhat turned off by the complication of
integrating it with Twisted, which I'm using to do top-level dispatching
of time-consuming stuff in threads and in separate processes, and to
perform networking when that functionality inevitably winds up getting
added to the application.

I had been thinking about PyQT but was turned off by the licensing
complications under Windows.  However, QT4 is dual-licensed and there is
already a conveniently installable GPL version of PyQT for Windows now.
(Apparently, someone went to the trouble of recompiling the GPL'd QT3
source under cygwin, and the result seems to work fine for me.) You can
get it at http://www.quadgames.com/download/pythonqt/PyQtGPL10.exe.

So, I think the choice will be PyQT for me. Comments welcome, though.

- Ed Suominen