[Twisted-Python] Twisted Developers: Do not import Nevow in twisted code, and other reminders

Christopher Armstrong radeex at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 23:06:04 EDT 2005

On 9/10/05, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2005, at 3:33 PM, Jp Calderone wrote:
> > Trial no longer runs with Python 2.2.  I disabled the buildslaves
> > since they weren't producing any useful results.  I _don't_ think
> > 2.2 support should be dropped now, but no one else spoke up when I
> > tried to argue this.  Given your post and James', I think it's
> > clear trial should be fixed on Python 2.2 and the buildslaves re-
> > enabled (I'll take care of the latter when someone says they'll
> > take care of the former).
>
> I simply object to support for it being dropped with no discussion.
> In such a discussion, I would not strenuously object to the minimum
> version being bumped to 2.3, although I don't think there are any
> particularly strong reasons for doing so. (My work no longer depends
> upon new releases of Twisted working with Python 2.2, we've upgraded
> to 2.4 now.)

The decision to drop it had not been made. I'd been meaning to talk to
exarkun about why the buildslave was removed, but haven't yet had the
chance (and remembered to discuss it). I was not planning on doing the
release requiring 2.3 without first asking the community, so your
objection to it being dropped with no discussion is slightly off.

As others have pointed out, this discussion makes it clear that the
next release of Twisted (2.1) should still support 2.2, but I strongly
suggest  we drop it immediately after that release, allowing 2.3-using
code into trunk.

The policy regarding Python release support has always been based on
Debian stable releases, since it's such a conservative milestone.
Debian has had 2.3 as its primary Python in stable for months, so it's
time.

--
  Twisted   |  Christopher Armstrong: International Man of Twistery
   Radix    |    -- http://radix.twistedmatrix.com
            |  Release Manager, Twisted Project
  \\\V///   |    -- http://twistedmatrix.com
   |o O|    |