[Twisted-Python] Re: Disabling PB (de)serialization

Brian Warner warner at lothar.com
Tue Sep 6 15:20:12 EDT 2005

>> In TP1, the business data should be serialized, and wrapped in an outer
>> layer, containing the destination coordinates. PX1 and PX2 should be able
>> to only unwrap and deserialize the outer layer only, while trasparently
>> forwarding the serialized business data.
>
> At a guess you'd need to write your own Unjellier class or something. I
> suspect this will be much easier in newpb, but I'm not *sure*. Brian?

Hm, tricky.

In oldpb, yeah, you need to get your hands dirty with Jelly. When you invoke
rref.callRemote(methname, *args, **kwargs), what really happens is:

 the RemoteReference is turned into a per-connection objid
 a pending-call slot is allocated, assigned a unique number 'callid'
 the following tuple is serialized and sent over the wire:
  ("call", objid, callid, methname, args, kwargs)

at the far end, the tuple is fully unserialized, then examined. The "call"
token triggers a lookup of 'objid' to find the target Referenceable, which
then gets its remoteMessageReceived method invoked. This method receives the
(methname, args, kwargs) values and is responsible for calling the final
remote_foo method. The (args,kwargs) received by remoteMessageReceived have
been unbananaed but not yet unjellied (see below), so most of the
deserialization work has already been spent.

There is no clean place in this sequence to tell the underlying Protocol
instance to switch from the banana-unserializing dataReceived() mode to some
just-copy-the-data mode: in general, everything gets unserialized before you
even find out what the target object is.

So the way I'd do what you're trying to do is to serialize the arguments
myself, then pass the resulting blob to the method that knows about the
dispatch/forwarding rules.

Terminology: "Jelly" is the layer that turns arbitrary object graphs into
s-expressions (nested lists of primitive types like strings), while "Banana"
is the layer that serializes these s-expressions into a series of bytes.
There is a Protocol subclass named Banana which is attached to the wire and
emits sexps as they arrive, then the Broker is a subclass of Banana which
interprets these sexps as commands. When these commands require sexps to be
turned into objects, it uses Jelly.

To jelly arbitrary data, you just do this:

from twisted.spread import banana, jelly
def encode(o):
    sexp = jelly.jelly(o, taster=jelly.globalSecurity)
    return banana.encode(sexp)
def decode(s):
    sexp = banana.decode(s)
    return jelly.unjelly(sexp, taster=jelly.globalSecurity)

The sending side would then look like:

def callThroughDispatcher(methname, *args, **kwargs):
    allargs = encode((methname, args, kwargs))
    d = target.callRemote("dispatch", methname, allargs)
    return d

the dispatch side could look like:

def remote_dispatch(self, methname, allargs):
    return self.targets[methname].callRemote("doit", allargs)

and the final target could look like:

def remote_doit(self, allargs):
    methname, args, kwargs = decode(allargs)
    m = getattr(self, "remote_%s" % methname)
    return m(*args, **kwargs)

The downsides of this approach:

 the "serialization domain" is rather small, and does not include the
 established connection, so this will fail if your arguments include
 Referenceables or RemoteReferences. (normally you would be able to pass new
 references through to the other side, but our encode() method does not know
 about the connection and therefore cannot manipulate the reference tables
 that would enable this)

 there is some overhead to encode()/decode(): it must create a new Banana
 instance, attach it to a dummy (StringIO) transport, then iterate it until
 all the serialized data is accumulated. This overhead is probably small in
 comparison to the time it takes to serialize a large/complicated object
 graph, but there will definitely be a break-even point somewhere, below
 which is makes more sense to let the existing Brokers do their own
 serialization.

In newpb, you'll have more options, but this use-case won't necessarily be
all that that much easier. The most useful new feature would be the pluggable
Slicers/Unslicers, which give you more control over serialization and
unserialization. It might be possible to write a faster serialization layer
(in C).. I suppose that might help something.

The fundamental problem is layer-mixing: you want to change the behavior of
the very lowest-layer code (serialization/unserialization) based upon
decisions made at much higher layers (target object or method name). This is
sort of what dual-mode protocols like SMTP and HTTP do, where they switch
between LineReceiver and RawDataReceiver depending upon protocol state, but
in SMTP the transition is simple enough to implement at a very low level
(just wait for a blank line). In both oldpb and newpb, the transition is
indicated at a much much higher protocol level.

A related problem is that serialization is closely tied to a context, in this
case some state in the per-connection Broker object. Most of the advanced
serialization features (being able to handle arbitrary object graphs, shared
objects, pointing at remote Referenceables, etc) depend upon this context.
The "Dispatcher" thing you want to do drags some of this deserialization into
a second context, one which may not share enough state with the first one, so
it may be infeasible to serialize anything but simple self-contained
datatypes this way.

I'm curious, what does your takes-a-long-time-to-serialize data look like? I
need some performance-test-cases to benchmark newpb serialization code with,
and if my test data looks more like your actual data, then newpb will be that
much faster for your application. Are there a lot of large strings? Long
lists? densely-connected graphs?

hope that's useful..
 -Brian