[Twisted-Python] Subproject releases

Jonathan Lange jml at mumak.net
Tue Oct 18 18:23:46 MDT 2005

On 18/10/05, James Y Knight <foom at fuhm.net> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2005, at 10:29 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz wrote:
> > Hmm.  Trial interaction is something I haven't messed with yet; I
> > haven't put trial directory below a __path__ entry.
> >
> > Arguably this is simply a bug in Trial that should be fixed, though.
> >

> The other issue is that test files expecting to be imported as
> modules _still_ won't work if specified by filename. But, I think
> that's just a fact of life -- it is not possible in general to do the
> correct back conversion. AFAICT we will just have to accept this
> slight functionality loss and recommend that everybody specify module
> names rather than file names (at least for running twisted's tests --
> it's only broken when filenameToModuleName is wrong). Also, Trial
> *does* run the file specified even if it can't figure out how to
> import it, so if the test code doesn't actually depend on having its
> real module name (e.g. it doesn't use things like relative imports or
> __name__), it will also still work.

Are you recommending that we remove filename support from the Trial
command line?  Or just that we leave the filename support in a
slightly-broken state, and spit out some warnings?

If we remove filename support entirely, then there are consequences
for the buildbot quick build: there will be no easy way to test
changed files.  Buildbot passes filenames of changed files to Trial
via the (poorly named) --testmodule option. Sometimes these files are
actual test modules, which need to be imported and ran.  If we remove
filename support, we break this buildbot feature.

This is a big chunk of feature.  I'm very keen to hear what other
people think about it.

cheers,
jml