[Twisted-Python] Subproject releases

David Reid dreid at dreid.org
Wed Oct 12 13:26:11 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:13 -0400, James Y Knight wrote:

> AFAIU, Combinator doesn't solve the problem of twisted.words,
> twisted.internet, and twisted.web being in separately distributed
> packages.

You're right, neither pthy nor combinator actually solves that problem
and there is no way to solve them with pth files because pth files
aren't looked for at the module import level.  Likewise, combinators use
of PYTHONPATH.  So there are two real problems here, how to make the
repository reorganization work for users, and how to make it work for
developers.

- radix's fancy setup.py'ing, zpkgtools, pythonEggs are all potential
user solutions.

- Your smart twisted/__init__.py is a developer solution, but it doesn't
addressed (perhaps you just didn't want to mention it yet) what happens
when I want to use bracnhes/web2/foom/client2/ with it?  I suppose your
hierarchy is actually something like

twisted/core/twisted
twisted/web2/twisted
twisted/__init__.py

and core, web2, projname, etc would all be symlinks to various branches
of the various projects.  But that still seems to intrude on the
developer's habits.

I guess what I'm saying is, as far as user solutions go, we just need to
pick one (preferably one with versioning), it's the developer solution
that is going to make or break a reorganization, because it's hard
enough to develop twisted given all the personal and professional
distractions, but it shouldn't get harder by forcing developers to work
a certain way.

-David